Things to Do in Golden this Winter
Golden is truly a winter wonderland for all ages to enjoy and with so many incredible activities it makes a perfect winter adventure.
There are activities for everyone to enjoy on and off the slopes.
- Explore our authentic mountain town with your family, ski or snowboard the legendary Kicking Horse Mountain Resort or just take a gondola ride and enjoy the 360 degrees views from 7,700 feet.
- Enjoy our world class cross country skiing trails at Dawn Mountain or shred some powder whilst on a guided snowmobile tour.
- Experience a hockey game at our local arena. Take the kids and grown-ups indoor rock climbing.
- Take a heli-ski or cat-ski trip and experience the thrill of spectacular terrain and the world’s best powder.
- Indulge yourself at concert or cultural event and get to meet the friendly locals.
Fast Facts for Winter in Golden and Kicking Horse Country
- The birthplace of Heli skiing, The Bugaboos, is in our backyard
- 3 Heli skiing operators
- 1 cat skiing operator
- Average of 10 m (32ft) of fantastic champagne powder in surrounding 3 mountain ranges – Purcells, Selkirks and Rockies
- Over 20 backcountry lodges with great backcountry ski terrain
- Dawn Mountain Nordic Centre hosted the Canadian Masters Championships during 2012
- Over 30 km of groomed skate and classic cross country skiing trails at Dawn Mountain Nordic Centre
- 240 km of groomed snowmobile trails
- 4 maintained major snowmobiling areas
- 13 distinct snowmobiling zones
- 4,133 vertical feet of terrain at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort
- Kicking Horse Mountain resort has the fourth highest vertical drop in North America
- Eagle’s Eye Restaurant if Canada’s highest dining experience at 7,700 feet
- Highest concentration of world-class ski resorts that can be day-tripped from Golden.
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is only 15 min. from downtown, and 4 other resorts are within a 1½ - 2 hour drive: Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Panorama Mountain Village
- Heli skiing was born in the mountains near Golden, BC in 1965. Hans Gmoser pioneered the first ever commercial heli skiing in the Purcell Mountains' Bugaboo Range. Thus, Canadian Mountain Holidays (CMH) was born.
- Famous Rogers Pass, ski touring capital of the world, is only 78 km from Golden