My Trip

No items added yet.

How to use My Trip
Ski Touring

*Avalanche Canada Shutting Down Forecasting for the Season - The final forecast for the season on March 28, which is about a month earlier than normal. The final three-day forecast will remain in effect until March 30. Click Here To Learn More 

*Please note the following update regarding backcountry use in Glacier National Park, following the closure of the Roger's Pass Discovery Centre: All winter permit system areas are closed - all backcountry access in these areas is prohibited.

Golden, BC is surrounded by vast expanses of ski terrain and virgin snow and is a paradise for the serious skier who is searching for the best mountains in Canada, champagne powder and every conceivable type of terrain and exposure. 

The Dogtooth range of the Purcell mountains is easily accessible from Kicking Horse Mountain Resort and offers beautiful backcountry bowls and nice ski touring options with great powder and is a backcountry touring gem. To the west of Golden  Rogers Pass, in Glacier National Park. is one of the ski touring capitals of the world, boasting incredible terrain ranging from high-glaciated ascents to fantastic alpine descents with outstanding tree skiing. Head east to the Rocky Mountains to experience some long ski runs among some of the highest peaks in the Rockies, all in majestic scenery.​​​

Winter Permit System

For the safety of highway travellers, the highway operations and avalanche control program (with the Canadian Armed Forces) will continue as a priority.

As such, the Winter Permit System will still be in effect for backcountry users, but no daily permits will be issued. Restricted Access Areas will only be accessible to annual winter permit holders, and of course only when they are open. Annual permit holders do not need to check in with the discovery centre every morning – as they can see what is open/closed online (confirming for you that this is always the case – not COVID-19 related).

Visitors without annual permits can still go in the Winter Unrestricted Areas.

  • Make sure you check out conditions, pack avalanche and safety equipment and know how to use them before you go ski touring. 
  • Check the latest avalanche conditions by visiting the Canadian Avalanche Centre online.
  • Hire a guide or book your ski touring adventure with a certified ski touring operation.  For a list of certified guides visit ACMG.
  • A winter permit is required in Glacier National Park. Before you go, be sure to find out whether or not you need a permit and what areas are open or closed.