Summer at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort
Your Must Do list ...
You can’t visit Kicking Horse Mountain Resort without trying at least one of the many awesome options available. Make sure you check these out before you leave our resort:
- Via Ferrata - a fixed route climb along a series of cables, ladders and bridges on the Terminator Peak. Climbers are clipped in for safety, which means the system allows amateurs to experience the views and excitement normally reserved for hardcore climbers!
- Grizzly Bear Interpretive Center – Learn about our resident Grizzly Bear Boo and enjoy a scenic chairlift to our 22 acre enclosure mid-mountain.
- Gondola Sightseeing & Hiking – Take the gondola up to 7,700 feet and view the breathtaking vistas and maybe hike along a ridgeline or two.
- Eat at the highest restaurant in Canada. No visit to Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is complete unless you’ve had lunch at the Eagle’s Eye Restaurant where you can enjoy a tasty lunch or beverage with breathtaking views.
Best value for your money is to get the Adventure Pass Sky Lunch Package! This package combines all three of Kicking Horse Resorts greatest offerings. Book online or call 1.866.SKI.KICK for more information.
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort Bike Park
First time here? Never been lift accessed Mountain Biking before?
There are lots of options for any level of rider but it is easy to get in over your head! Please read about Mountain Safety before riding our trails.
We want you to have a fun, safe day and not scare yourself. This list is to help you progress through a level of trail that best suits you. Please warm up and get to know your way around. A GREEN or BLUE trail still presents lots of challenges and are fun even for the advanced rider.
Please be advised that there are no EASY trails here.
The GREEN designated trails are the “easiest” we can offer, and may still be considered “hard” to beginners.
The Catamount Chair (open daily) is where you want to be!
The Gondola (open daily) is for Intermediate to Advanced riders only!!!
Start with these and see how it goes…
- #1 It’s a 10: Wide dirt road
- #24 Lower Kranky Pants to #11 Easy Rider: Mostly wide trail with smooth berms, wide boardwalks and some single-track
If those trails seem OK, move up to these…
- #4 Super Berm: Wide, machine built trail with big berms and small jumps. A short section contains wide wood features such as bridges and wall rides.
- #5 Buffalo Jump: A short, machine built trail with tighter corners and steeper pitches than Super Berm.
If you feel VERY comfortable on these trails, only then should you consider heading up the Gondola.
Remember, only YOU CONTROL YOUR SPEED!
ALWAYS STAY IN CONTROL, pump your brakes, look ahead and take it easy!
Visit Kicking Horse Mountain Resort for more information on Mountain Biking.
Via Ferrata means “iron road” in Italian and is a fixed route climb along a series of cables, ladders and bridges, located on the Terminator Peak’s north face – venture through two custom courses, the discovery route and the ascension rote. Both are available to never ever climbers or seasoned props and vary in length from 2 to 4 hour tours, a suspension bridge crossing is included in both tours! The rock face of Terminator 1 is highly visible from the Gondola, be the envy of all riders as they watch you on this adrenaline filled rock climbing adventure. Climbers are clipped in for safety, which means the system allows amateurs to experience the views and excitement normally reserved for hardcore climbers.
Visit Kicking Horse Mountain Resort for more information about Via Ferrata.
Grizzly Bear Refuge
One thing that sets Kicking Horse Mountain Resort apart from all other ski resorts is the Kicking Horse Grizzly Bear Refuge. This is the largest enclosed and protected grizzly bear habitat in the world. The 20-acre refuge is the home of our resident grizzly bear, Boo. Within this natural mountainside habitat, Boo hunts, plays, forages, and explores just like his wild cousins.
The refuge is open daily during the summer and provides guests the opportunity to observe an adult grizzly bear going about his daily routine. Everyone who comes to visit Boo is fascinated by his strength, agility, intelligence, and personality.
Take a scenic chairlift ride to the Grizzly Bear Refuge to enjoy an hour-long interpretive tour during which you can observe our resident grizzly, Boo, and learn all about this magnificent species.
Ranger Assist Tours
Want a more personalized experience at the refuge? Take part in this two-hour program assisting a refuge ranger while getting a behind-the-scenes look at Boo and refuge operations.
For more information on the Grizzly Bear Refuge and programs visit Kicking Horse Mountain Resort.
Gondola Sightseeing & Hiking
Float above the clouds as you are whisked to 7,700 feet. Take in panoramic views of the Rocky Mountains, the Columbia River Wetlands and the quaint town of Golden. During the journey, spot wildlife and perhaps even a glimpse of Kicking Horse Mountain Resorts resident grizzly bear, Boo.
Once at the summit, venture forth on a hike or simply soak up the endless mountain vistas from on top of the world. After all, the end of the gondola ride is simply the start of your next adventure.
Ride the Gondola up to 7,700 ft and take in the breathtaking scenery of the Columbia River Basin and 6 National Parks. Visit the Eagle’s Eye Restaurant for lunch or a snack and keep your eye out for wildlife in the alpine terrain.
For more information on sightseeing and hiking visit Kicking Horse Mountain Resort.
Unguided Hiking Options
Recommended trails to hike including a peak and 3 ridgelines. Buy a season pass and try all of them!
Must Eat Food
You gotta try our local’s favourite eats:
Daily homemade cinnamon buns, muffins, cookies, cakes and scones at the Slopeside Cafe
Wild Boar Poutine and Elk Burger at the Eagle’s Eye Restaurant
Goat Cheese Bison Meatballs at Corks Restaurant and Wine Bar
Did You Know?
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort has the following services:
- Five places to enjoy a meal and beverage on mountain including the mountain top Eagle’s Eye Restaurant at 7,700 feet
- Day Lockers available for a charge
- Fully equipped tune-up and repair shop in the Performance Rental Centre
- Performance Rental Centre and General Store for all your shopping needs
- Discovery Centre for those looking for their dream home